Friday, September 11, 2009

Squishy Faces In Unemployed Places



Penny and I have been hard at work on our dog tags
as well as searching for a job that will pay the bills.
It feels like it was just yesterday that me and my
fellow classmates walked tall with our college
degrees in hand, hopeful, and ready to enter
the working world. Then, the economic
downturn hit, and it hit us hard.

Everything we had been told about our near future,
was no longer relevant. From the 300+ people in
my department that received their degree last
year, three that I know of, landed their dream
job. That doesn't mean we have given
up though.

A lot of people have been tirelessly
searching for work, despite little to
no results.

We are hard workers, with an abundance of skills
ready to be used at the drop of a hat. Yet over and
over we are told on interviews that we are up
against 900 other applicants, and the
prospect of obtaining that job, is
grim.

At this point in time, all you can do is keep doing what
you are doing. Apply in other states, other cities and
other industries you wouldn't normally look in.
Relocating is a pain, but if the job becomes
yours, take it. It's incredibly frustrating to
come close to a job, as I just did, and
beat out hundreds of others, only to
be told you didn't get it.

But I encourage others to keep up the search.
Our furry and human friends mixed in with
a little hope that things will turn around
is all we have right now.

2 comments:

Marti said...

I hope your friends are also reminding you to keep your chin up! Don't give up things always turn around. It is taking more time that any of us wanted it to. Don't forget to think outside of the box. Taking a job doing something different from what your degree is in may open a door or inspire you or even give you an idea for a business of your own.

No matter, any experience can give you the edge over the hundreds of graduates entering the job market. I know I worked in Human Resources for a major retailer for 12 years... I’ve hired hundreds of managers, District Managers and associates over the years. I can tell by your blog you are very creative. So as you said to your friends, don’t give up!

Pug(s) and Bugg said...

I was there too- unemployed for a few months but had disliked my job and had been LOOKING for work for over a year. It's so hard, especially after you keep getting let down. Once I was brought in for THREE interviews and didn't get the job... it was sad. But what's supposed to happen will work out- in the meantime keep your chin up! Oh put up the etsy site! We can't wait!